This post is also available as a podcast: Podcast #008: How to Make the Most of the Size You’ve Got
I think that unmarried men worry more about penis size than husbands do, but penis anxiety is pretty common among men — just like other forms of body shame are common among both men and women. It may be reassuring for a husband to learn that we worry more about our penis size than our wives probably do.
Men worry far more than women about penis size, according to Veale and his colleagues. One study, published in April in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, found that women preferred larger penises only up to a point (anything bigger than a flaccid length of 2.99 inches (7.59 centimeters) did not additionally impress women), and preferences also varied based on a guy’s height. A 2012 study published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine found similarly ambivalent female preferences. In that study, women who experienced frequent vaginal orgasms were much more likely than other women to express an interest in better-endowed guys. For women who didn’t prefer vaginal orgasms, penis size was a far less pressing matter.
In case you’re wondering, the average American man’s penis is 5.6 inches long when erect with a girth of 4.8 inches. (You can measure girth (circumference) by wrapping a string around the widest part of the shaft and then measuring the length of the string.)
The real question though is: how can you make the most of what you’ve got? Here are a few suggestions.
- Lose weight. If a man is carrying too much weight, the extra fat can submerge some of his length and hide it inside his body. Lift some weights!
- Penis ring. They’re cheap and help maximize your erection (and can even help you last longer). A ring with a vibrator might also be fun for your wife!
- Deeper sex positions. Missionary position isn’t the best for deep penetration. This topic deserves its own post, but the short version is this: while in missionary, push her knees way up towards her head; or try doggy style and have her arch her back. (“Arch” means to push her tummy down towards the bed, not to push her spine up towards the sky.) These positions will let your penis reach farther into her body and give her a greater sensation of fullness.
- Legs together. Whatever position you use, your penis will feel thicker if your wife keeps her legs together rather than spread open.
- Vaginal exercises. This deserves a post of its own as well, but your penis will feel bigger (to you both) if your wife tightens the muscles of her vagina by performing Kegel exercises. She can also squeeze her vagina and butt during sex to increase the feeling of girth. Your mileage may vary, but I find that Sexy Corte tightens when I give her a little spank on the butt.
- Thank God for her clitoris. Don’t forget… most women orgasm primarily from clitoral stimulation!
Wives, please realize that your husband takes his penis very seriously. Making fun of his penis is probably worse than if he called you “fat” — you can always lose weight, but his penis isn’t going to change. Instead, show admiration for his penis!
Do you have any tips for making the most of what you’ve got? Leave a comment! (Plus, I’ll post a funny gif in the comments: “bigger than you think”.)
Bigger than you thought, and completely safe for work: https://i.imgur.com/9HwUmYY.gif
El Fury recently posted…How to Make Most of the Size You’ve Got
I’m a newlywed, and right before we got married we were anxious–my husband about looking/feeling small and me about being “loose.” Our wedding night proved us both faaaaar off the mark–he feels choked to death in average-sized condoms and it still always takes a few minutes to get comfortable when we really get going. Point is, in a world of porn and bravado, it’s incredibly easy to underestimate yourselves.
That’s a great point! As with so many areas of life, the media distorts reality and creates anxiety and dissatisfaction when there’s no reason for it. Thanks for your comment!