(Click here to read the whole Sex in Song of Solomon series.)
Song of Solomon, Chapter 5.
Chapter 4 was all about the Lover’s admiration, love, infatuation, and joy for his Beloved; he compares her to a secret garden, and in the final verse of the chapter she beckons him to enter:
Let my beloved come to his garden,
and eat its choicest fruits.
Chapter 5 begins with the Lover’s entrance and exhortation by the Chorus. The Lover enters his garden and enjoys its fruits.
I came to my garden, my sister, my bride,
I gathered my myrrh with my spice,
I ate my honeycomb with my honey,
I drank my wine with my milk.
Eat, friends, drink,
and be drunk with love!
The chapter then continues with the Beloved’s description of her heartache when her Lover is absent. Perhaps she is dreaming, or fantasizing about his return. She plays coy and worries about her modesty, but eventually hurries to greet her Lover before he can admit himself.
I slept, but my heart was awake.
A sound! My beloved is knocking.
“Open to me, my sister, my love,
my dove, my perfect one,
for my head is wet with dew,
my locks with the drops of the night.”
I had put off my garment;
how could I put it on?
I had bathed my feet;
how could I soil them?
My beloved put his hand to the latch,
and my heart was thrilled within me.
I arose to open to my beloved,
and my hands dripped with myrrh,
my fingers with liquid myrrh,
on the handles of the bolt.
I opened to my beloved,
but my beloved had turned and gone.
My soul failed me when he spoke.
I sought him, but found him not;
I called him, but he gave no answer.
The imagery is evocative: both the Lover and the Beloved are wet, and the Beloved’s fingers drip with fragrant perfume from her fantasies of longing for her Lover. Perhaps her dream ends here and the next portion is a metaphor for her longing, or perhaps the dream continues into nightmare and despair.
The watchmen found me
as they went about in the city;
they beat me, they bruised me,
they took away my veil,
those watchmen of the walls.
I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem,
if you find my beloved,
that you tell him
I am sick with love.
However it is interpreted, the Beloved is sick with grief at the absence of her husband and Lover. The Chorus asks her, what’s so special about him?
What is your beloved more than another beloved,
O most beautiful among women?
What is your beloved more than another beloved,
that you thus adjure us?
The Beloved goes on to describe her absent Lover in intimate detail.
My beloved is radiant and ruddy,
distinguished among ten thousand.
His head is the finest gold;
his locks are wavy,
black as a raven.
His eyes are like doves
beside streams of water,
bathed in milk,
sitting beside a full pool.
His cheeks are like beds of spices,
mounds of sweet-smelling herbs.
His lips are lilies,
dripping liquid myrrh.
His head, his hair, his eyes, his cheeks, and again myrrh dripping from his lips.
His arms are rods of gold,
set with jewels.
His body is polished ivory,
bedecked with sapphires.
His legs are alabaster columns,
set on bases of gold.
His appearance is like Lebanon,
choice as the cedars.
His mouth is most sweet,
and he is altogether desirable.
Apparently the Lover lifts. And finally, ultimately, why is the Lover so precious to his Beloved?
This is my beloved and this is my friend,
O daughters of Jerusalem.
Not only are they lovers, husband and wife, but friends. How sweet is that?
Everyone knows that spooning leads to forking, and sometimes it’s a comfy, intimate after-party. However, spooning can also be a great position for sex all by itself Here are a few tips to make it work.
- Get naked. Nothing feels better than skin-on-skin along the whole length of your naked bodies.
- Slide down. Usually the husband is the “big spoon” in back. Unless you’re foot taller than your wife you will need to slide your body down towards her feet and put her butt against your stomach to enable optimal penetration. In the normal cuddling position her girly bits are likely to be too low for thrusting.
- Superfluous arm. The worst part about spooning is that darn superfluous arm that gets pinned against the bed! Basically there are two options: bring it up under your head, or wrap it around your wife’s body under her arm. Either way can work. Personally, I like to…
- Cop a feel. When I’m spooning Sexy Corte I always grab a boob or two, even when we’re just cuddling. It’s super-intimate, and it’s just comfy for my hand. If we’re having sex in this position I may wrap my other arm around beneath her to grab both.
- Take it easy. Spooning sex isn’t about going fast or hard, it’s about relaxation, intimacy, and comfort. Be lazy. Move slowly. Luxuriate in the feel of naked skin against you. Maximize contact along your bodies, from head to toe.
- Petting. Don’t just cop a feel! Husbands, let your hands wander along the side and front of your wife’s body. Lick and kiss her neck and upper back — this is sure to make her purr.
- Reach around. Spooning sex doesn’t naturally provide much/any clitoral stimulation for the wife, but if that’s desired the husband can reach around and use his hand or a vibrator.
- Third trimester. Spooning can be a great position for sex when the wife is in her third trimester. Her belly can be easily supported by the bed or a pillow, and there isn’t a lot of movement to strain her.
So there you have it, spoon in good health! Do you have any great spooning tips to share?
Roll a six-sided die twice and consult the tables. Use the “Even” table is your first roll is even, and the “Odd” table if your first roll is odd.
First roll was odd:
- Make out
- Bath or shower together
- Undress each other (slowly!)
- Share a new fantasy with each other
- Use Foreplay result from sex adventure generator
First roll was even:
- Naked Marco Polo
- Sexy Adult Jenga
- Sock wrestling
- Strip poker or strip Uno
- Husband tells a naughty story while receiving a blow job
- Wife tells a naughty story while being eaten out
We hope everyone had a great Mother’s Day!
Mom knows best. Eating together at the table as a family is awesome. Ok, this isn’t sex-related, sorry.
Smooth as a Baby’s Butt. Yes, men should shave down there, too. You’ll both enjoy it.
What does he mean by “oral sex”? (It may not be what you think.) Or it may! But really, mouths are extremely versatile and there’s a lot you can do with them.
Faith in your marriage. “Society and the media will tell you that marriages ultimately decline. It’s a lie. If you walk in the truth of beliefs 1 and 2 above, then it is entirely possible to continually grow closer regardless of how long you’ve been married.” Amen!
Why mirrors are great to use during sex. How many people do this? We haven’t tried.
Tenderness. (A poem.)
Let’s talk time wasters. A great reminder of the importance of properly categorizing the urgent and important.
And if you want to read more sex/marriage posts, check out Happy hour.
Have a great week!
(To catch up, here’s part 1 of “wearing and using a vibrator in public”.)
I won’t claim I can sew, but I can handle a needle well enough to stitch up torn seams in my clothes. Being able to fix stuff is part of being a man, and being able to fix clothes means that you need to learn a little bit about sewing.
One side benefit of my novice sewing skill is that I can undertake fun projects like this: sewing a remote controlled vibrator into Sexy Corte’s panties.
We’ve got an event coming up that requires a babysitter, so it’s also a great opportunity for some play and experimentation. You can buy panty/vibrator sets that go together and the panties have little pouches to hold the vibrator in place, but the combo can cost nearly $100. It’s much cheaper to buy the remote controlled vibrator by itself and then sew a pouch into an existing pair of panties.
I’m planning to do the sewing this evening and I’ll post a picture of the end product when it’s complete. After the event itself we’ll post an after-action report.
Update: Read about the actual experience.